Scenes from a Seaside Home

In an earlier post I said I would share some info on fabric paper. Here it is at it's most basic.


fabric paper tutorial

A copy of a photo, and some white fabric.
 Some PVA glue mixed with a minimum of water, and a plastic tray.

fabric paper tutorial

Cover the fabric in glue.

fabric paper tutorial

Lay the paper on top and also cover in glue.

Now there are a few points to remember. The ink will run (this is a print from an ink jet printer), but you can keep it to a minimum by not too much water in your glue and not over brushing. You will have a few wrinkles and a bit of blurring but I am happy with that.
A simple fast way to get an image onto a piece.

This is what I did with mine.


fabric paper tutorial

I put it onto some wadding, added a few strips, and then added stitch.

fabric paper tutorial

Now I have a great "random zig zag" stitch on my sewing machine that I like to edge things with sometimes. Like me, you probably end up with something like this when you zig zag an edge.
After trimming this is what I do.

fabric paper tutorial

I add a touch of paint (or sometimes glue or acrylic gel medium) all along the edge, to neaten everything up.

fabric paper tutorial

It works a treat!

If you want to learn more about the delights of fabric paper I can highly recommend this book.

fabric paper tutorial

Stitch Alchemy by Kelli Perkins is like a comic for grown ups, and I mean that in the best sense. It is so full of colour, it is a real feast for the eyes and packed with ideas for making and using fabric paper. I love browsing through my copy.

art quilting blog

Comments

  1. Gosh - thanks for remining me that I ***should*** check my own book shelves once in a while !! I think I have that book ... anyway, thanks for the tips and tricks, I WILL try them !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool idea! I never to think to pick up "mixed media" books. Clearly I ought to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astonishing - I really must play with this sometime - thanks Deborah for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book, maybe I should check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how that came out, something I will have to try.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! i love the way you used a photo. I have that book too - it IS fun! Thanks for showing us the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you created here! I've been playing with photo transfers and lifts recently and will be adding this book to my personal library.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts